Monday, October 6, 2008

Me And My Photography

As I had stated here, photography was one of the two things that I had been trying lately.  If you are reading this, you probably know about my blog already (and are a fan, I hope).  Let me tell you about how photography has been working out for me.

After I had decided that I would try out photography, I needed a camera.  I already had one but it wasn’t advanced enough for professional photography, just a simple point-and-shoot thingy.  I needed a better device.

I have this friend.  I had thought of better names but he wants to be credited as Hungry Joe here.   Anyways, Hungry Joe had this camera, which was pretty high-tech.  The camera was so good that even Hungry Joe, with all his hunger, was able to take commendable pictures at times.  I had always envied his camera and the attention he got at flickr because of it and wanted to have my share.  So I came up with a plan. 

I convinced Hungry Joe that his camera sucked and he sucked even more with his camera than without it and he should let it go.  I also told him that I was willing to make the ultimate sacrifice and would bail him out and buy his camera so that he could buy himself a newer model from the proceeds.  I, in-turn, had plans to sell my own not-so-high-tech camera to Sheikh Sahib, another colleague of mine, to get some refund on my investment. After all, I was just an amateur to be spending this much on photographic equipment when I didn’t even know what aperture was and how shutter speed affected photos.

After a lot of convincing, harassing, and emotional-blackmailing, Hungry Joe finally agreed on getting rid of his camera and selling it to me.  He gave me the go-ahead to close the deal with Sheikh Sahib, which I did successfully.  Of course, my convincing, harassing, and emotional-blackmailing skills came in handy there as well.

Everything was going according to plan until the day Hungry Joe was to deliver me the camera.

And that eventful day, Hungry Joe, instead of delivering me the booty, told me that he was forbidden by his parents to sell his camera.  You know, the typical ‘ammi nay mana kiya hai’ (my Mom has forbidden me) excuse!  Well, it’s amazing how it works even at the age of 25.  I myself successfully used it later for bailing myself out from my commitments with Sheikh Saahib, but that’s another story all together. 

Hungry Joe thought that he had betrayed me (the good guy that he is, he was still under my convincing, harassing, and emotional-blackmailing trance) and as a remedy for what he had done, he offered me to buy me some equivalent equipment from the market on similar rates.  We went to the local camera market with a friend that evening and were successful in finding a piece which, if the shopkeeper was to be believed, was a genuine, seeing-is-believing kind of thing and was both tried-and-tested and untouched at the same time. 

After some negotiations (from our side mostly as we suck at bargaining) I got myself a Canon PowerShot S3IS which was incidentally the same model that Hungry Joe had.  It has a 12x optical zoom, is semi automatic (or semi-manual, whatever that means), has a retractable LCD and can capture images up to 6MP. 

I have been trying it out lately.  And I have a page of my own at flickr now. 

Yay!

10 comments:

  1. "...even Hungry Joe, with all his hunger, was able to take commendable pictures at times"

    Bah! Humbug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. " You know, the typical ‘ammi nay mana kiya hai’ (my Mom has forbidden me) excuse! Well, it’s amazing how it works even at the age of 25."

    Bah! Humbug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Hungry Joe thought that he had betrayed me..."

    Bah! Humbug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "...the good guy that he is..."

    Damn right he is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. dude, the london pics have been taken with the cybershot right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Hungry Joe: This is all true, nothing is a humbug. I have witnesses. Don't try to undermine my credibility or I'll reveal what Hungry Joe is actually hungry for. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Farhan: Yes, the London ones are taken with the CyberShot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, I didn't know you were an aspiring photographer --- nice pictures on flickr though ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. hungry joe, is he 25 reallllllly ...
    looks more than 29

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Arfeen: Thanks :)
    @Patel: Hungry Joe is definitely above 30.

    ReplyDelete

Wanna say something? Say it out loud.