Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Things Change With Time

Things change with time.

For example: There was a time when I started bugging my father to get animals for sacrifice weeks before Baqr-Eid and then spent most of the time taking care of them. This included obscure activities like naming animals, having beauty and strength competitions with neighborhood animals, even crying after sacrifice. Tomorrow is Eid and all I have done is had one glance at the two bakras (goats) my parents bought for sacrifice this year. The bael (bull), which I am supposed to be sharing for sacrifice with six other people, hasn’t even been this lucky.

For example: There was a time when I bought Eid cards for all my friends and made sure that they got the personally written and signed cards before Eid. Tomorrow is Eid and I am thinking whether personal email Eid greetings messages are too much and if I should stick with a Facebook greeting status only.

For example: There was a time when I got my traditional Eid dress, shalwar qameez, specially prepared a month in advance. Tomorrow is Eid and I am thinking what to wear this Eid and whether wearing shalwar qameez tomorrow is worth the effort.

For example: There was a time when I slept at 10 pm the night before Eid in anticipation of the Eid prayers early next day. Tomorrow is Eid, it’s 2.15 am and I am on my laptop, writing this blog.

Eid Mubarak. I hope this Eid brings happiness in our lives and peace in our country.

10 comments:

  1. nahhiice!!! very relevant, and well written too. Hmm, feeling nostalgic n pensive at 2:15 am eh. Be grateful that it hasn't come down to "what? it's Eid today?". THAT would make a good read though.

    Eid Mubarak to you too. So this is why you didn't wish by sms this time :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Up at 2:15, writing a blog entry instead of going out. You wasted one of the very few Chand Raats left in your bachelorhood [afsos]

    But as long as the last line is correct all will be fine :)

    Eid Mubarak !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eid mubarak!

    Your writing is simple but great way of presenting The Eid Log!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eid Mubarak!

    I guess losing interest in all this is a part of the process of growing up and being cynical adults.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @All: Thanks for the wishes! [:)]
    @Farhan: I hope you got your sms.
    @Cube: Baqr-Eid's moon is sighted ten days earlier than the event itself. So technically there is no chaand raat. [:P]
    @Misspecs: I guess, you are right! [:(]

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Jdee: Chand Raat suggestion what actually a good one. Did you have to be technical about it? Probably that's why "things have changed" [:P]

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is nothing, i spent my eid up in the mountains

    ReplyDelete
  8. It has something to do with our faith. I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Tazeen: OK, you won!
    @gh: Don't know about the faith thingy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its with the passage of time after which a person keeps on thinking of all the efforts i have done the previous year is it necessary to repeat em again! And thus we have lost the essence of it all.

    ReplyDelete

Wanna say something? Say it out loud.