Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Writer's Block

I love Wikipedia.  It has everything a curious mind needs in one place.  Sometimes, I just visit the site even when I am not sure what I am curious about and then from the home page, it’s just click, click, click and off I go.  Humans are definitely luckier than cats in this regard. 

Anyways, Wikipedia’s awesomeness needs a blog entry in itself and I don’t want to digress.  Here is what it says about Writer’s Block:

Writer's block is a phenomenon involving temporary loss of ability to begin or continue writing, usually due to lack of inspiration or creativity.

Writer's block can be closely related to depression and anxiety, two mood disorders that reflect environmentally caused or spontaneous changes in the brain's frontal lobe. This is in contrast to hypergraphia, more closely linked to mania, in which the changes occur primarily in the temporal lobe

However, another interpretation of writer's block, sometimes confused with scant output, is given in the book Silences, by Tillie Olsen, who argues that historically many women and working-class writers have been unable to devote themselves to, or concentrate on, their writing because their social and economic circumstances prevent them from doing so.

The reason I have put this crap on my blog is that I think I am having one.  Although, that would mean that I think I am a writer but I am willing to take that hit for a while.  I just wanted to confirm one thing.  I am unsure if one would be having a writer’s block if they were just feeling too lazy to update their blog?  Or do anything productive for that matter?  Like, anything at all?

5 comments:

  1. Maybe you are used to having deadlines as motivation for doing stuff. Since you don't have any these days, hence the block :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If all else fails, do the tag! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So it means either u r in depression or under anxiety :P. I find Wikipedia giving almost all the reluctant info attached with a topic, so I often regard taking info from somewhere else than Wiki ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once met this guy who spent the latter part of his life being a Wikipedia author...

    Tell me if that's not strange or that's not strange?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Cube: Maybe. :S
    @Nikki: I stand by what I said. Wikipedia rocks :)
    @YH: Later part of his life? I didn't think Wikipedia was that old. Well, let me wiki that. :)

    ReplyDelete

Wanna say something? Say it out loud.